Sunday, August 27, 2006

August 06 Update

Sorry we have been absent for so long, there have been lots of changes and lots of exciting things are happening.

Natalie is back in Australia, missing Smokey terribly, but working on developing a market for our garments in Melbourne. And Mark Dvorak-Little's Luce fellowship just concluded so now he's back in America and missing Smokey too!

We welcome two new wonderful additions - Simone and Marieke. Simone is from Australia and has a fashion & business background and Marieke is from Holland and has a law background. They have been very busy developing the business, working with the ladies to develop their skills, creating new designs and recruiting more help.

They have also been working with the ladies who weave the wonderful recycled newspaper baskets and bags (see trashbags link to the right). We hope to be able to use their skills in some new products for Smokey Fashion.


A scene from the bag-making workshop - Marieke, Simone and Joyet in the background


Up close with weaving old newspapers into great bags.

1 Comments:

At 3:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Natalie,

I am a filipina and I am really grateful for the project that you and your group helping the woman's co-op in the Philippines. Although, I live in Quezon City I have not heard or know where the location of the co-op not until I googled and found your blog.

I would very much apreciate if you could e-mail me at cris_alambra@yahoo.com the address of the co-op so I can go and visit them as I am interested in selling the bags and placemats.

Thanking you in advance for your prompt reply.

Cris

 

Post a Comment

<< Home